There is a growing understanding of the roots of addiction and how earlier traumas shape our needs and habits, and as this tide rises, we are able to better serve those on paths to recovery.
Our guest today is the fantastic and inspiring Elisa Hallerman, and we have an amazing conversation about her winding soul journey of self-discovery, and her book Soulbriety.
Elisa’s story is one of finding her way into helping others with the issues she faced, and she talks about the consistent nature of soul work, the roots of her substance abuse issues, the power of storyteling, and letting go of our connection to the ego.
Listeners are guaranteed to come away with fresh perspectives on what it means to confront demons, how to start down a new path of self-inquiry, and why it is so valuable to share the wisdom we have gained with others.
- 00:00:00 – Intro
- 00:01:31 – Dealing with the person behind the ego and the mask
- 00:05:53 – The decision Elisa made to pursue education and seek out new ideas.
- 00:10:55 – A broadening understanding of addiction and trauma
- 00:16:05 – Elisa unpacks the message of her book, Soulbriety, and the inspiration for the title
- 00:21:31 – The target audience for Soulbriety.
- 00:24:25 – Acknowledging messages and accepting our readiness to embark on a soul journey
- 00:31:20 – Elisa’s important relationship with Kelly Notaras
- 00:33:59 – Looking back at Elisa’s early years in Long Island
- 00:42:13 – The early signs of addictive tendencies in Elisa
- 00:46:02 – Elisa looks back at her teenage conceptions of success
- 00:50:03 – The realization that Elisa had about being uncomfortable and in the wrong situation
- 00:55:26 – Reflections on Elisa’s law career
- 00:57:28 – Leaving an unhealthy relationship
- 00:59:00 – How Elisa found her way into show business
- 01:03:47 – The different masks that Elisa wore and what these different personas provided
- 01:08:49 – The factors that helped Elisa realize she had a problem with substance abuse
- 01:11:45 – How her nephew shifted her perspective significantly
- 01:15:20 – Finding sobriety and dealing with the crisis of meaning that followed
- 01:17:22 – The importance of sober anniversaries
- 01:20:09 – Closing thoughts on success from Elisa